Thursday, May 5, 2011

Speaking of philosophy....

“Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.”
-Mahatma Ghandi

This past week I was invited to attend the local Maryland chapter of EPOC. Within the room, regardless of what was being spoken, I felt an amazing sensation of power and enlightenment. I was surrounded by chiropractors, C.A.'s,  and common people who are passionate about the truths and principles of chiropractic.  It was an amazing and beautiful thing. 

The speaker was a man named Arno Burnier who gave a beautiful, motivating, and thought provoking talk.  He spoke with great integrity, and not to please those who filled the room.

I was speaking with a D.C. friend today who had attended the meeting Monday as well about how I wish I could 'convert' my chiropractor to the 'truth' of chiropractic.  In the trail of thoughts, I then got thinking about how my (non principle believing) chiropractor braved enough to show me a different path and tell me what I was living wasn't health - and that because of his genuine care and compassion, I entrusted him and began changing my life.

I'm constantly telling that D.C. friend how much he needs to brave his truth and knowledge, and share it with those who come into his office - and it's true. It's 100% essential that true chiropractors share the truth and knowledge that they are equipped with to the communities they are in. That you educate and enlighten your patients, so they can be made aware of the realities and opportunities available to them - and what can happen if they chose not to.

I don't mean scare-tacting your patients. However I do mean having the courage to share what you know is true, and having enough compassion for your community, that it would be selfish to not educate them. The next individual who walks through your office doors may be someone who was just in a car accident, someone who so vis-ably seems unhealthy, or perhaps even a yogi. But each of those people, no matter the circumstances for their arrival - needs to know that you are there not just to get them out of pain. You are there to help them, help themselves. Whether they have seen 100 different chiropractors in the past, or you are the only chiropractic experience they will ever have - it's up to you, in the short moments of your meeting together, to light the match.

Teach and empower your patients, and it will be a chain reaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment